27 Sep Arroz Con Pollo (Chicken & Rice)
🥣Arroz con pollo is such a staple in all of Latin America. It’s like eating happiness and comfort. This rice recipe delivers all the goods, from therapeutic spices to veggies and protein! As it cooks, unbelievable aromas fill your kitchen. I don’t say this lightly, but this rice is as good (or better;) than the original (Mexican rice) which calls for tomato. This is my most fave recipe in a very long time, I promise you’ll love it and won’t miss the tomato at all.
🌿It’s also an easy weekday one pot meal. It’s bursting with flavor courtesy of the grilled chicken, and a handful of key spices for all the flavor and then some. It’s the perfect fall comfort food, make it!
❤️Make it your own by swapping veggies (keep the potatoes, you won’t be sorry), and keep it vegan by subbing chicken breast with frozen chickpeas. It’s the perfect fall comfort food make it;)! You’ll have plenty of leftovers to freeze for quick lunches throughout the week.
CHICKEN INGREDIENTS (serves 5-6)
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1 c frozen chickpeas
5 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 lime (juice) – ½ tsp is considered low histamine. This recipe serves 6, so you won’t go over if you have a normal adult portion)
1 ½ tbsp sweet paprika
1 ½ tsp onion powder
1 ½ tsp garlic powder
Few strands of saffron
1 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
¾-1 tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp ground coriander
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 large yellow onion, finely diced
1 large carrot, chopped
1 Russet potato, each half cut into quarters (8 pieces)
1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
1 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
1 c chopped carrots
2 tbsp evoo
3 1/4 cups water
Garnish with lime slices
Optional: crushed pink peppercorns
1. In a large freezer bag, 3 tbsp evoo, chicken, 3 tablespoons olive oil, juice of 1 lime, onion powder, garlic powder, ground coriander, sea salt, ground cumin, fresh oregano. Seal the bag and toss until chicken is fully completely coated in marinade. Refrigerate for at least 15-30 minutes (depending on tolerance).
2. Heat a large and deep pan or skillet on medium heat. Add half the chicken breasts to the pan. Cook for about 6 minutes/side, then flip and cook the other side for 6 minutes. Remove from heat and place on a plate, and set aside. Don’t discard oil and spices in the pan (you’ll cook your veggies in it).
3. In the same pan, on medium heat, add the onions, carrot, and chopped potato. Stir intermittently, until the onion is translucent (about 4 minutes).
4. Add the garlic and rice, and saute 2-3 minutes, stirring often so all the rice gets fried evenly.
5. Add the water and salt, and stir until all ingredients are mixed in and combined.
6. Return the browned chicken breasts (or add chickpeas if V) to the skillet. Set the chicken on top of the rice (single layer). If using garbanzos, stir then in. Cook for 20-30 minutes (depending on your stove) on low heat (rice will be fully cooked and soft/moist once done, and potatoes will be soft). To be safe, check the internal temperature of chicken breasts (165°F when fully cooked).
7. Leave covered for about 10 minutes/until ready to serve so the rice continues to steam, locking all the amazing flavors in and absorbing any residual extra moisture. Fluff with a fork, and garnish with lime slices.
***GF/DF/VG OPTION/LOW HISTAMINE***