11 Oct Caramel and Apple Pie Thumbprint Cookies
🍎No time to make a whole apple pie? No problem, just make these apple pie shortbread thumbprint cookies. If apple pie isn’t your jam, then just fill them with my Sunbutter Caramel and Maldon salt. They’re mildly sweetened, and refined sugar-free (as always;).
They’re the perfect crumbly afternoon treat, and they pair perfectly with your favorite hot beverage. Also, they’re made with a gut-healing ingredient. Make ’em!
SHORTBREAD COOKIE INGREDIENTS
1 ¼ c + 1 tsp fine blanched almond flour
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 c melted virgin coconut oil
½ tsp pure vanilla powder (Cook’s, or raw vanilla bean works as well)
Pinch of sea salt
APPLE PIE FILLING INGREDIENTS
***This filling is mildly sweetened, but feel free to add more maple syrup or sugar if you want to sweeten it up a bit more.***
1 ½ c finely chopped peeled apples (3 small apples or 1 large)-use sweet applies, not tart
2 small pinches cardamom, to taste
2 pinches of ground ginger, to taste
2 pinches of ground cloves, to taste
Pinch sea salt
1 tsp pure vanilla powder (Cook’s)
½-1 tsp fresh lime juice (1/2 tsp is low histamine p/mastcell360.com, so if you use more than that just don’t eat them all in one day! 🙂
2 tbsp maple syrup, to taste
2 tsp unrefined coconut sugar, to taste
1 tsp arrowhead flour + 3 tbsp water
1 tbsp pasture-raised ghee OR vegan butter
SUNBUTTER CARAMEL INGREDIENTS (whip all ingredients with a fork, and set aside). Alternately you can use my Caramel Sauce, if you want something a lot sweeter but still low histamine.
2 tbsp unsweetened organic Sunbutter
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp virgin coconut oil
1. Make dough by mixing all ingredients in a medium bowl , and chill (covered) in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
2. Make Sunbutter Caramel OR apple pie filling, or both:
-Add apples, lime juice, coconut sugar, spices, and sea salt to a pan on the stovetop. Stir together and let macerate at room temperature for about 15 minutes.
-Add maple syrup to the pan, and stir the apples one more time.
-Turn the heat to medium and begin to cook the apples, stirring occasionally to make sure the apples cook evenly. Cook until the apples have softened, about 5ish minutes.
-In a small bowl, create a slurry by whisking together the arrowhead flour with 3 tbsp water.
-Pour the arrowhead flour slurry into the apples, and stir together until fully combined. Continue cooking until the mixture has thickened (2-3 minutes).
-Remove from heat, and stir in the vanilla powder and ghee or vegan butter.
3. Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator. Scoop out cookie dough with a cookie scoop. Set dough balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Gently flatten cookie dough balls with the bottom of a drinking glass. With a 1 tsp measuring spoon, make an indentation at the center of each cookie.
4. Scoop the apple mixture into the indentation of each cookie. If you’re using caramel instead, I prefer to add it once the cookies are baked so the shortbread has a chance to really crisp up.
5. Bake for 15-18 minutes, at 350°F, depending on your oven and how crispy you want them. Watch them closely, as they burn easily once they’re done.
6. Remove from the oven, and let cool for 10-15 minutes before enjoying, or spooning Sunbutter Caramel into each indentation or over apple pie thumbprints.
7. Garnish apple pie thumbprints with Sunbutter Caramel. If you’re using only Sunbutter Caramel for these cookies, garnish with Maldon salt.
***GF/Lactose & Casein-free/VG OPTION/LOW HISTAMINE***