10 Dec Festive Hummus
This festive little hummus is the perfect holiday appetizer that’ll have your guests singing your praises.
Don’t skip soaking the chickpeas for the smoothest hummus, as well as 2 secret steps that make it even creamier (on the blog). The key to improving the odds of chickpea tolerance is pressure-cooking the chickpeas as this eliminates most lectins, (easier to digest than store-bought hummus).
Seriously, this hummus is smooth as velvet, and melts in your mouth so goooood. I added a little cumin for some Latin flair;) The pumpkin and pomegranate seeds add a bit of crunch and holiday color, and a big burst of flavor to each bite. It’s a mouth party. Who doesn’t want that?
Serve with @sietefoods Sea Salt Chips or veggie crudite!
20 oz or about 2 ½ c dried chickpeas, soaked overnight for softest texture
1 tsp sea salt while cooking + 1 tsp to food processor, to taste
½ tsp baking soda
1 tbsp tahini
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp cumin, to taste
5 tsp lemon juice (½ tsp lemon juice is low histamine per mastcell360.com – I added 1 tsp at a time. Keep in mind how much is considered low histamine to eat at a time, and don’t eat it all in one sitting;)
5 tsp ice water
Optional: crushed pink peppercorns, to taste (I love it without, but feel free to add if you need a little peppery spice)
Garnish: drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and pumpkin and pomegranate seeds
1. Soak chickpeas overnight (don’t skip this step, will make it ultra creamy)
2. Pressure cook soaked chickpeas by adding to Instant Pot to eliminate most lectins (easier to digest). Fill pot with water to fill line, add salt and baking soda, and cook for 23 minutes.
OR if you tolerate without pressure-cooking, you can cook on stovetop (covered) with salt on medium heat until soft and mushy. Add baking soda once they’re soft.
3. Place in colander to drain.
4 Place in a food processor, and blend until fully pureed.
5. Add tahini, garlic, cumin, lemon juice, and sea salt.
6. Blend, then add ice water until desired consistency (add 1 tsp of water at a time).
7. Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, and pumpkin and pomegranate seeds. Serve with your fave chips or veggie crudite.