08 Feb Mashed Purple Sweet Potatoes
I fell in love with mashed purple sweet potatoes in Hawaii. They’re sweet and creamy, and are the perfect side dish. They’re super easy to prepare, just add: coconut cream (anti-inflammatory), gut-healing ghee, coconut sugar, sea salt, cardamom, fresh ginger, and fresh parsley for some crunch! They’re yummy enough to be dessert, but deliver awesome health benefits: fiber, vitamin B6 (think energy and mood), vitamin C (your immune system will thank you), and antioxidants. My taste buds are confused, is this dessert or a veggie dish?!😆
6 small or 3 large purple sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2/3 c coconut milk (use cream at the top) + 2 tbsp coconut cream (at top)
⅓ c ghee, melted (sub with coconut oil if you’d like)
3 tsp coconut sugar, to taste for low-histamine (ok to sub with maple syrup if desired, to taste)
Sprinkle of cardamom, to taste
1 tsp sea salt, to taste
Fresh grated ginger, to taste
Optional: cinnamon and chopped parsley. Omit cinnamon to keep it low histamine.
1. Place sweet potatoes in a large pot with water over high heat and bring to a boil. Boil potatoes until tender (about 20ish minutes).
2. Drain potatoes and place them back into the pot.
3. Add coconut cream, ghee, sea salt, coconut sugar, cardamom, and grated ginger
4. Mash with a potato masher or use an immersion blender for a super smooth consistency. If it’s too dry, add a bit more melted ghee.
5. Top with chopped fresh parsley (optional).
**GF/LACTOSE & CASEIN-FREE/LOW-HISTAMINE