16 Apr Mexican Rice Pudding
🍚Arroz con leche was one of my favorite treats growing up. This sweet rice pudding is the perfect amount of creamy and comforting. Each spoonful will melt in your mouth. It can be enjoyed for breakfast, as a snack, or dessert. Why not all 3?:)
🍁To make it, you’ll need: white rice, maple syrup, coco milk, coco sugar + ground ginger (to sub cinnamon sticks, used traditionally), vanilla powder/extract, water, sea salt, and shredded coco. I love adding different toppings to switch it up. Today I went with toasted maple shredded coconut, Bosc pear, and a tiny pinch of cardamom.
ARROZ CON LECHE INGREDIENTS
1 ½ c long grain white rice (a bit creamier with short grain rice)
2 c water
3 c organic plant milk (I used canned coco milk)
Pinch of ground ginger + ¼ tsp coco sugar, or more to taste (to sub cinnamon sticks, used traditionally).
**If you use cinnamon sticks instead, remember to remove them before adding plant milk.
½-1 c maple syrup, or more to taste (or sweetener of choice). Add little by little, stir, and taste.
½-1 tsp vanilla powder (or vanilla extract)
1 c unsweetened shredded coco + ¼ c maple syrup, or more to taste + pinch of sea salt
Pinch of cardamom
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Add rice, water, ground ginger, and coco sugar to a large pot on medium high heat (stovetop). Boil rice for 9 minutes (until the rice has absorbed the water). Watch closely so it doesn’t burn.
3. Add the plant milk, maple syrup, and vanilla to the pot (still on medium high). Stir, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15-20 minutes (ok to uncover and check, and stir). You want it to be creamy, not watery.
4. Pour unsweetened shredded coco into a parchment-lined baking sheet. Add maple syrup, and mix well. Sprinkle sea salt over the coco. Spread out shredded coco with a spoon, and bake at 325°F for 5ish minutes (until crispy and golden brown), and remove from the oven.
5. Once rice is done cooking, check consistency (should be fully cooked, soft, and plant milk should have thickened and blended perfectly with the rice), and taste. If necessary, add more ginger, maple syrup, or vanilla.
6. Top with toasted coco, your fave fruit, and a sprinkle of cardamom. You can enjoy it warm, or have it as a cold snack (refrigerated).