21 Feb Oven-baked Fajitas with Creamy Cilantro Sauce
🫑If you love Mexican food as much as I do, you’re going to love these oven fajitas! They are def the easiest meal to prepare. Just pop them in the oven for 20-25 minutes, and they’re done! You don’t even need to flip the fajitas midway, just let them bake and caramelize. This salad is the perfect way to enjoy them. I made a bed of baby arugula and sliced cucumber, loaded it with fajitas, and topped it with creamy cilantro sauce. This is now my fave salad! BRB, going to go make some fajita tacos for din!
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp coconut sugar
⅛ tsp pink peppercorns, ground
½ tsp sea salt, to taste
½ tsp lime juice (add once done cooking)
1 large onion, sliced (I used red)
3 bell peppers, membranes removed and sliced
1 lb chicken breast, cut into strips – omit to keep it vegan
2 tbsp oil (I prefer avocado oil because it has a high smoke point) – to toss chicken and veggies
Handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped
Fresh chopped cilantro to garnish (optional)
**Chili powder is traditionally a part of this recipe (1 tbsp). I chose not to use it in this recipe because it’s high histamine. If you tolerate it, feel free to add it in.**
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet with oil or line with aluminum foil for juicy chicken. If cooking without foil, check on fajitas at 15 minutes..
2. Mix all of the spices for the fajita seasoning in a small bowl and set aside (cumin, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, pink peppercorns, coconut sugar, and salt).
3. Cut the onions, bell peppers, and chicken into ¼-inch wide strips (remove membranes and seeds). Place them in the baking sheet.
4. Drizzle oil over the chicken and vegetables. Toss and make sure all chicken and veggies are coated in oil. Sprinkle the fajita seasoning and chopped fresh parsley all over. Toss (with hands) the ingredients until everything is well coated in seasoning.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes (check at 20 minutes). No need to flip midway, let everything bake and caramelize undisturbed. Squeeze lime juice all over fajitas once they’re done baking (I use half lime. ½ tsp is low-histamine per mastcell360.com, so don’t eat all the fajitas at once!😆). Internal temperature will be 165-170 degrees F.
6. To make a fajita salad, serve over a bed of your fave greens and sliced cucumber, load it with fajitas, and top with creamy cilantro sauce and side of chips.