06 Apr Sofrito Rice
🧅This sofrito rice is very similar to Mexican rice, but is infused with delicious sofrito spices. It’s delicately seasoned, so it’s very versatile. It’s also easy to play with, so you can easily add more of the spices you like. It’s ready in just 25 minutes, and is super easy to make.
🥣To make it, you’ll need: olive oil, red bell pepper, yellow onion, fresh garlic, white rice, turmeric, garlic powder, sea salt, sweet paprika, and water. You can throw some chicken in as well, or freshly made chicken stock to make it next level awesome. Garbanzos are optional, as well as the toppings. Make it your own!
♥️Hope you like it!
2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 red bell pepper, roasted and peeled
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 c water (or sub with freshly made chicken stock to keep it low-histamine)
1 c white rice
¼ tsp ground cumin, or more to taste
⅛ tsp turmeric, or more to taste
1 tsp garlic powder (add another ½ tsp if you like that forward garlicky flavor)
⅛ tsp sweet paprika, or more to taste
2 tsp sea salt, or more to taste
1 c garbanzos (optional)
Top with chopped cilantro and sweet mini bell peppers (optional)
1. Roast bell pepper at 425°F in the oven, until edges are blackened.
2. Remove from the oven, and cover for about 5 minutes, so it steams and is easier to peel.
3. Peel skin off horizontally.
4. Blend peeled pepper, ½ tsp sea salt, and 1 c water in a blender, until liquid.
5. On medium heat on the stovetop, saute onion in olive oil, stirring frequently, until golden.
6. Add garlic. Saute garlic and onion for one more minute.
7. Add rice, spices, and salt. Mix, and saute until rice is fried and golden.
8. Add 1 c water, and deglaze the pot.
9. Add the blended bell pepper liquid, then add the garbanzos, stir, and cover.
10. Cook for 25 minutes, covered, on medium heat.
11. Keep rice covered until ready to serve (will steam, and absorb any remaining moisture).
12. Fluff with a fork before serving, and top with fresh chopped cilantro and fresh sweet mini bell peppers for crunch.