23 Jun Sri Lankan Daal
😋I modified my husband’s Sri Lankan daal recipe to make it low histamine! Had to top it with my fave herb: cilantro + Celtic-salted red sweet mini bell peppers for the finishing touch.
🥣It’s so flavorful, creamy, and super easy to make. You’ll need just 7 ingredients: red lentils, coconut milk, sea salt, turmeric, crushed pink peppercorns, and sweet paprika. That’s it!
1 ½ c red lentils (soaked overnight)
1 medium yellow finely diced onion
⅛ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp crushed pink peppercorns
⅛ tsp sweet paprika
½ tsp salt
⅓ c coco milk (make sure there’s some cream in there too, from the top of the can)
½ c water
2-3 tbsp evoo
1 Clean 1 ½ c of red lentils by covering them with water and vigorously stirring then discarding water x 3
2. Cover lentils with just enough water a 4th time and let soak for 20 minutes
3. Saute onion in olive oil until onions are golden brown
4. Pour lentils + water they soaked in into a pot, and add ½ c more of water
5. Bring to a boil, then turn down to moderately low heat (5 on a stove knob) for 20 minutes (covered), stirring every 3-5 minutes
6. Add ¼ c coconut milk and cook on medium low for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 3-5 minutes.
7. Turn heat off, and add a sprinkle of sweet paprika.