🙌🏽 You can’t ever really go wrong with potatoes or garlic. These wedges are the perfect side dish or snack, and feel like a treat every time. The best part is that you season them with healthy ingredients and bake them, instead of frying them. You’ll need: russet potatoes, extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, and crushed pink peppercorns. My fave thing about them? They’re crispy on the outside, and buttery soft on the inside. Pair them with my coconut ranch, and it’s a feast!
I shared this fact about potatoes last week, since they often get a bad rap:
🥔A large potato is high in potassium, magnesium, iron, copper and manganese. It also contains vitamin C and most B vitamins. They’re so underrated considering they contain a little bit of almost every nutrient you need. There have been cases where people have survived on potatoes alone. Wild.😜
🌟Potatoes are a good source of fiber (your gut will thank you), which can help us feel full longer. Fiber also keeps cholesterol and blood sugar levels in check. They’re packed with antioxidants that help prevent diseases, and protect against free radicals as well.
🥔Papa Club here.
GET. SOME. POTATOES.
3 russet potatoes, washed and scrubbed
1 tsp sea salt
2-3 tsp garlic powder (or 2-3 finely chopped cloves of garlic)
½ tsp onion powder
¼ c extra virgin olive oil
Crushed pink peppercorns, to taste
Handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Cut each potato in half lengthways, then cut each half in half lengthways again, and then cut each half in half lengthways again. You’ll have 8 wedges. Make sure they are about the same size and thickness.
3. Soak wedges in a large bowl filled with water for about 20 min (removed starch, so you get the crispiest wedges).
4. Dry them off really well. Remaining water will affect your crisp factor.
5. In a medium bowl, combine the extra virgin olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, and crushed pink peppercorns. Pour the oil mixture over the potatoes and toss to coat evenly.
6. Arrange potato wedges in a single layer on the baking tray (skin-side-down).
7. Bake for 45 minutes, turning wedges at 20 minutes (then bump up oven temp to 425° F), and again at 35 minutes. Bake until the wedges are golden and crispy. You can poke them with a fork to make sure they’re fully cooked (soft in the middle).
8. Taste, and add more sea salt, and crushed pink peppercorns-to taste. Top with finely chopped parsley (optional).
**GF/DF/LOW-HISTAMINE (I followed mastcell360 low histamine foods list very strictly initially, then added some foods from the SIGHI list as I began to tolerate more foods, all under the care of a dietitian. A low histamine diet is restrictive and not meant to be followed long-term, as nutrient deficiencies may develop.)**